At Parbold Douglas Church of England Academy we aim to deliver a broad Music curriculum which engages and inspires our pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians.
Through this enriched curriculum, pupils increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement.
All pupils are given opportunities to:
· Perform, listen to, review and evaluate music across a range of historical periods, genres, style and traditions
· Learn to sing and use their voices to create and compose music on their own and with others
· Learn a musical instrument (currently brass lessons are offered to Y3 and glockenspiels throughout the KS1 and KS2)
· Understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated
In addition to the Music curriculum, pupils have opportunities to engage with music through:
· Sing Together Project with Blackburn Cathedral (currently children in Year 5 participate in this which culminates in a concert in King George’s Hall Blackburn)
· Peace Proms (currently children in Key Stage 2 are given the opportunity to perform in a mass choir of over 1000 children)
· Sung Choral Vespers with choristers in Blackburn Cathedral (currently offered to AGT children in Y5 and Y6)
· Parbold Brass Band (offered to any child within West Lancashire and hosted by Parbold Douglas Church of England Academy which is the Music Hub for this project)
· National Sign2Sing Project (currently involving every child from Nursery through to Year 6 in a collaborative performance held every February)
· Community events (often performing with local schools within the village)
· Church events
· Songs of worship on a weekly basis